Choosing the right heating source for your home is a big decision. Did you know that heating your home uses more energy and costs more money than any other system in your home – typically making up as much as 29 percent of your overall energy bill? And, depending on the heating system you choose, it can last upwards of 20 years. All of this makes it vital to take the time to investigate your home’s heating options.
This quick guide will help you choose the right home heating solution for your family as well as your finances. Let’s get started.
What are the key features to consider when choosing a heating source for your family?
It’s impossible to choose a suitable residential heating supply if you don’t first know what you are looking for. Statistics show that around 96% of the country is hooked up to a source of heating, with 47% relying on natural gas while 36% use electricity and 11% use other gas sources like propane gas.
One thing the percentages don’t reflect – is that most homeowners don’t consider the fact that they can change heating sources. Instead, they simply remain on whatever energy source was in place when they moved into their home.
However, switching to the best home heating solution offers a wide range of rewards when you prioritize the following features;
- Cost – keeping your energy bill to a manageable level is the main goal for most homeowners, especially after recent price hikes. It is vital to know the cost of your heating per KwH and how it translates to the home heating cost.
- Safety – every homeowner needs to know that their property is safe and choosing the proper residential heating will make a difference. Furthermore, making the right choice will put your mind at ease.
- Environmental impact – reducing your carbon emissions is an increasingly important goal for families, and home heating is the perfect place to start.
Switching from one energy source to another may seem complicated, but it is a one-time change that can have a significant impact on your home. Given that it can save time, money, and the environment, it is a home upgrade that all families should consider.
Which heating source is best for your home?
As well as looking at the correct heating source, you will need the right heating system. The choice between a furnace, heating pump, and boiler, for example, can have a considerable impact. However, finding the best heating source should be your first goal.
No Heating Source
Some homes do not have any heating source. Southwestern territories show up to 15% of households have no heating source, which reflects the natural climate in those states. However, when living in Indiana (or most parts of the country), a heating source of some kind is necessary for cold winter months.
Natural gas is the most popular choice because it is often the source already in place. If the heating systems are in place, you may take the “don’t fix what isn’t broken” philosophy. Like any gas, it is deemed more reliable than electricity as it won’t drop out during a storm or power outage. Moreover, natural gas is cleaner than fossil fuels and easier to store. The supply across the Midwest and the rest of the United States is very good. However, natural gas is combustible and is not a renewable energy source.
Electric heating as a home heating source is also quite popular. Firstly, it is a solution that requires minimal initial cost as electric heaters are very cheap to purchase. It also offers a convenient option as the installation doesn’t require any changes to the property. However, it is an expensive choice – with electricity costing more than twice that of natural gas and propane. The costs are even higher once the heater becomes inefficient. It is also slower to heat your home and can be unreliable in power outages.
Propane gas for residential heating isn’t always a homeowners’ first thought for heating their home – mainly because it’s not the solution they inherit. The main disadvantage is that it requires an initial expense to make the switch. Meanwhile, it should be noted that it burns at a lower temperature, which does mean you will need to burn more if you want the same room temperatures as fossil fuels. For most people, though, this is not an issue.
Propane gas offers a multitude of benefits for those who want to heat their home and stay warm in the colder months. Those benefits include:
- Propane is Environmentally friendly. The 1990 Clean Air Act lists propane as a green energy source. As well as low carbon content, it does not contaminate groundwater. If you are looking for ways to help the environment, switching to propane is a great way to do so.
- Propane Gas saves money. It saves money compared to natural gas, even if the energy price has increased significantly in recent times. The Franger Gas Guaranteed Price Program schedule helps you cut the costs further.
- Propane Gas is safe. It is a safe solution for your family as the storage tanks are far less likely to encounter punctures. Likewise, propane gas doesn’t contain any toxic chemicals. Propane gas produces heat, vapor, water, and carbon dioxide. It also has a remarkable safety record – due in part to codes and regulations put in place by the propane industry and National Fire Protection Association.
- Propane Gas is reliable. Like natural gas, propane will continue to provide reliability when you have an electric power outage. When coupled with the fact it can be used for grills, furnaces, and more, it is a fantastic solution.
Whether moving into a new property or upgrading the heating source in your current property doesn’t matter; propane is the best choice for your home. It’s safe, affordable, and reliable. It also signifies a huge step to reducing your carbon footprint.
And for our existing Franger Gas customers, you can further reduce your costs for heating your home with our Refer A Friend program at Franger Gas. Using this service can help a friend attain the benefits of heating their homes with propane gas and see a reduction in your bills with account credit.
Uses far beyond heating the home
Did you know propane can be used for so much more than heating? You can use Propane for:
- Home Heating
- Water Heating
- Emergency backup generators
- Gas logs, fireplaces and stoves
- Clothes drying
- Space heaters for three-season rooms and garages
- Outdoor fireplaces and fire pits
- Gas grills
- Pool heaters
- Hot tub heaters
Excellent Customer Service with Franger Gas
At Franger Gas, we deliver exceptional energy and exceptional service. We are a locally owned and operated family company that understands the community because it is our home as well. With over 75 years of propane experience, we know what it takes to get the job done. We offer several Residential Programs to help keep your cost down and your propane tank filled!
What a year 2021 has been! We celebrated our 75th Anniversary and have so much to be grateful for as we head into 2022.
Our customers have given all of us at Franger Gas Company so many reasons to say “Thanks!” You continue to trust us to provide your homes, businesses, and farms with propane throughout the year.
Another thing we are incredibly thankful for is the way our customers tell others about your propane service and experience with Franger Gas! We know word of mouth recommendations are the best kind of advertising – and want to remind you of our Refer a Friend program. To show our gratitude if you bring another customer to us, we’ll credit your account $50! It’s that easy and means so much to us!
We’re also grateful for the dedication and loyalty of our amazing employees. You have been hard at work through all the COVID restrictions and changes brought our way for the last two years. You show up and do the work, and bring peace of mind to our customers day in and day out. You continue to provide our customers with service beyond their expectations. Thank you!
Without our customers and our awesome staff, there is no Franger Gas Company. Thank you for being a part of our family for 75 years! If you are interested in learning more about us, and staying current on what is happening with Franger Gas, sign up for our newsletter today!
Wishing all our customers and employees a Happy New Year! Hears to 75 more years!
Franger Gas Management Team
At Franger Gas, we understand that every large-scale propane user has their own particular set of needs. In your search for a wholesale propane supplier, assessing your business needs is first and foremost. How much propane do you use? What is your preferred delivery schedule? What are your existing storage and staffing capabilities?
Even if you do not have every answer, Franger Gas Wholesale can help you assess your LP operational needs. We have been the go-to wholesale propane supplier for retail propane marketers and farmers for over 75 years. What has propelled that longevity?
Here are just a few components to our success as Wholesale Propane Suppliers:
- Relationships. We have built relationships with the large suppliers and terminals in customer service areas. This allows us to offer competitive and convenient options in the tri-state area.
- Experience. We have been selling propane – both on the retail and wholesale side – for decades. We bring that knowledge to every scenario you might come up against. Facing supply shortages and allocation? We have seen it. Terminals running out of product and needing to divert to another supply point? Happens all the time, and we take care of it. Dramatic swings in pricing? We can help bring more certainty to your bottom lines with our pre buy options. Concerned that you need more storage at your facility? We can advise AND install if necessary! There is little we have not seen and/or experienced in the propane industry. At Franger Gas, we have the experience to help your company navigate the peaks and valleys of the propane industry.
- One stop shopping. Other than propane for your plants, do you need other services? We offer safety training like CTEP for your team. Need advice on running a retail operation? We can offer consulting services that leverage our 75 years of success.
- The Mentone Rail Terminal. Our terminal is one of the most efficient in the area, and allows us to be a reliable wholesale propane supplier. Trucks are loaded fast and back on the road, with no detention time. A strategic partnering of Franger Gas and NGL Supply in Sarnia, Ontario along with Ceres Solutions and Norfolk Southern rail, the Mentone Propane Rail Terminal meets the energy needs of our customers and is one of the best supply points in the area.
- We are a family company. At Franger Gas, we understand what it takes to run a propane company and be a positive part of your community. We know our customers well and develop trusted, lasting relationships.
When your operation needs to select a liquid propane gas supplier, choosing the right one not only matters to you, it matters to your customers. If you are looking for a reliable, competitively priced wholesale propane supplier that understands what the retail propane marketer needs, contact Franger Gas today. We offer a comprehensive approach for our customers and our goal is to help each one succeed.
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Customers are often asking the propane industry “How can you make my life easier?” We would like to spotlight one solution that answers that question – as we have seen in two separate situations. The solution we will be talking about is remote monitoring of propane tanks.
Remote propane tank monitoring helps take the unknown out of gas delivery. It is a technology that allows a company to track of the amount of propane left in a propane tank without having to travel to the tank’s location. This provides peace of mind for both customer and supplier – and helps the propane supplier deliver propane more efficiently. The efficiencies gained with this remote propane tank monitoring technology help us provide better service and grow to serve even more customers. More efficiency means more customers getting a needed delivery each day.
Let’s look at how this technology has helped in two real world situations:
A customer with a large, but sporadic consumption pattern asked Franger Gas to provide service after multiple run-ins with another supplier. They would receive large material shipments at once and would then run out of forklift gas from their refueling station with trucks still waiting to be unloaded. Their previous supplier was not always able to respond in time, which resulted in unsatisfactory levels of service. Franger Gas offered the solution of the use a refueling station tank with a remote monitor on it. Instead of the old model of either estimating when they needed a delivery or only receiving a delivery on a specific day of the week, they were assured that as soon as they required a refill, one would be scheduled. Their supply was monitored in real time, and any dramatic swings in consumption were accounted for seamlessly.
Our auto-fill residential customers are already taking advantage of our tank monitoring technology – but we have customers who have, or will, invest in a second home. Often a lake property, a second home comes with additional, frequently unconsidered challenges. How do you maintain a home that is not your primary residence? Hire a management company for thousands of dollars per year? Rely on a neighbor to check your tank when you are not there? As a propane supplier that ensures homes have heat, we have utilized the remote monitoring technology to make life easier and help the customer sleep with a peaceful mind for a fraction of the cost of a manager. Now, customers can be on our automatic fill program with a monitor, which means they do not have to keep an eye on their tank level or worry when they are away from their property. In addition, our latest monitor provider offers a smart phone app that allows the customer to monitor the level from their own device.
Franger Gas Company values the service nature of the propane business. We continue to reinvest in new ways to meet our customers’ needs while always retaining the home-town feel we have established over the last 75 years. We’re looking ahead to many more years together! Contact Franger Gas today to learn more about remote propane tank monitoring.
How does a propane company continue to grow in strength and reliability? By sourcing supplies of fuel, and understanding the importance of consistent propane supply.
That’s what we do every day at Franger Gas Company. We saw a potential propane supply problem following the winter of 2013-2014. As a result, we partnered with a supplier to build the Mentone Propane Rail Terminal.
Today, the Mentone terminal gives us access to a reliable propane supply. Customers in northern Indiana, southern Michigan, western Ohio and neighboring regions receive propane through the Mentone terminal. Additionally, the terminal helps stabilize propane prices by reducing transportation costs to service agricultural and other rural customers.
We continue to invest in the future, and focus on propane supply with our storage tank farm under construction in northern Indiana. The first phase of the site will expand storage capacity by 700,000 gallons. That security of extra propane supply simply means plenty of fuel to heat homes and businesses, even when demand increases in cold weather.
At Franger Gas, we live by our company motto – large enough to serve, small enough to care. It reminds us that your community is OUR community too. That’s why we continue to look for better ways to source, supply and service your energy needs, whether it’s in your home, on a work site or at a wholesale storage facility.
We are honored by the trust you place in us. We look forward to the delivering excellent service you have come to expect from us for another 75 years.